Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Aunt Betty's Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

I'm still occasionally looking through my late mother's recipe cards.  This week I found this cookie recipe, and it took me right back to a childhood visit to my Uncle Vernay and Aunt Betty's Texas farmhouse.  Oatmeal cookies are my favorite, and this is one of the best. It's the coconut!

Ingredients

1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup softened butter
2 cups unsifted  flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup coconut
2 cups oatmeal

What to Do:

Cream together the butter, vanilla, eggs and sugars.  Mix in the remaining ingredients.  Form balls, place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 F. for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on size of cookie. Carefully remove from cookie sheet and cool,  I usually use a paper grocery bag, which also soaks up a bit of the "grease."

Note:  These are not as dense as some oatmeal cookies and will spread, so leave space on that first pan till you can judge the size.  They should be nicely browned, but not too much.  Ideally, they will be chewy on the inside and a bit crispy on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment