Saturday, July 14, 2012

Swiss Chard with Feta

Swiss chard, a sort of spinich look-alike, is showing up in our Farmer's Markets in these parts.  I admit that chard is not my favorite veggie, but it is so chock full of vitamans that I have to find ways to cook it.  I love garlic and pine nuts and Feta, so how could I go wrong with this?  The strong flavors of the garlic and the cheese off set the slight bitterness of the chard.  I added a little Parmesan as well, since my son-in-law works at a cheese making place and we have plenty.  It was great.

Ingredients:
1 bunch chard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 ounces crumbled Feta cheese (about 1/2 cup)

What to Do:
Cut off the chard stalks near the base of the leaves and discard. Cut any large leaves in half lengthwise. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until the chard ribs are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.  Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the Feta cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment