Friday, September 10, 2010

Peach & Berry Pie

This pie is beautiful, and it tastes even better than it looks. I made it last week as a potential entry in a pie baking contest. It is a slightly different version of my strawberry peach pie (that won second place last year.) This was my attempt at the blue ribbon entry, but circumstances beyond my control dictated that it never got to the contest. Still, as we ate it by firelight one evening, one of our friends said, "Oh my, this is a first place pie as far as I'm concerned!" Good enough then, and I'll share it here. :-)

Ingredients
pastry for top and bottom, 8 or 9 inch pie
(lattice top would be nice for this too)
1 c. raspberries
3 c. peaches (pitted, peeled & sliced)
1 c. strawberries
4 Tbs flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. butter

What to do:
Line pie pan with one pastry. Combine ingredients (except butter) and pile into pie pan. Dot with butter and cover with top pastry. Seal and flute edges and cut several slits in top. Sprinkle a little extra sugar and cinnamon on top. Cover edges with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Bake at 425 degrees F. for about 40 minutes. Cool. Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.

Note: I used the fruit amounts above because that is what I had. I don't think it would matter if you used all peaches and strawberries (though that would require a bit less sugar) or different combinations of the three fruits, depending on what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment