Friday, October 15, 2010

The Duchess' Lemon Bread

Those who have read my other blog, The Owl's Song, may know that my husband and I like to play dress up--that is we participate in what is called Rendezvousing. It is a sort of reenacting of the fur trade era, pre 1840. It was at one of these gatherings that I first met the "Duchess Anna," aka Carol Knuth. At the recent Baraboo, Wisconsin Rendezvous, the duchess (as usual) held one of her special tea parties, Victorian era style. It is a highlight of this particular rendezvous.

Along with delicious samples of tea, each party includes a few sweets as well. The Lemon Bread was so delicious I asked for the recipe and our hostess was kind enough to share it. It was light and sweet but not too sweet, and reminded me of pound cake.


Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
6 Tbsp melted butter
1 Tbsp lemon juice
grated rind of 1 lemon or lemon peel
1 1/2 cups flour
2 level tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 c flaked coconut or chopped nuts

What to do:
Beat eggs. Gradually add sugar and beat well. Add melted butter, juice, salt and grated rind and blend well. Sift the flour with the baking power and add flour mixture alternately with the milk, just stirring enough to blend. Add flaked coconut (or nuts). Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.

Carol ("The Dutchess") adds:
"You can moisten 1/4 cup sugar with lemon juice and pour over loaf. I didn't think it needed this; it seemed kind of granular. Other recipes heat the lemon juice and sugar to dissolve sugar. That may seep in top of bread nicer to give a little crunch. But for me less sugar is fine too."

Note from me:
The samples we ate did have a bit of the crispy lemon top. I liked it but have yet to try it without. The loaf for the tea party had coconut. Delicious, and part of the light texture. Haven't made it with nuts yet, but I will. This simple recipe is too good to pass up trying some variations!

Added note: I just made a loaf with 1/2 cup slivered almonds. Nice. Not sure which way I prefer. I wonder what would happen if I put in nuts and coconut? Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment