Friday, May 29, 2009

Orange Spiced Rhubarb Sauce

I remember my first taste of rhubarb sauce. I was about 10 years old and we were having a fried chicken dinner at Knotts Berry Farm. They served it warm. I didn't know what it was, and I remember asking my dad, "What is this delicious stuff and why have I never tasted it before?" In the upper midwest, one of the ways we know spring has finally arrived is that the rhubarb starts growing. Almost everyone who can has a little rhubarb patch.

Sometimes a simple thing can make quite a difference. That's what I think about this recipe. I got the idea of adding the orange and cinnamon when I was making cranberry sauce.

Ingredients

6 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch inch pieces
1 to 1 1/2 sugar
1/4 c. water
about a tablespoon of orange peel, or use orange juice insted of water
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
If rhubarb is the green variety, a few drops of red food coloring is nice.

What to do:

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook slowly about 5 minutes, or until tender. Makes 4 cups. May be served warm or cold, depending on what you are using the sauce for.

Rhubarb sauce is good alone (like applesauce), served with meat (especially pork) over vanilla ice cream, or as a topping on pound cake with a dollop of whipped cream.

Variations:

Add some canned crushed pineapple, drained. This is good for dump cake, along with cherry pie filling.
Mix with applesauce.
Omit water and add some sliced strawberries to rhubarb when you remove from heat, and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment