Friday, September 23, 2011

Cranberry-Walnut Chicken Salad

The tarragon gives this crunchy-sweet chicken salad an interesting flavor.  Nice to make ahead for sandwich filling for a picnic.  Also a good way to use up some leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

 Ingredients
4 cups cubed, cooked chicken
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 cup diced celery
2 Tbs. finally chopped shallot
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbs. white wine vinegar, or red is okay too if that's what you have
3 Tbs. finely chopped, fresh ttarragon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

What to do:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Serve over lettuce or on pita bread, croissants, or toasted ciabatta bread.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll try this with almonds instead of walnuts. Just my thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be good with any nut, and I usually use pecans in recipes that call for walnuts. Have to admit, the walnuts slight bitterness was a nice combo with the sweet cranberries. I can never find shallots up here in small-town land, but I used scallions and it was good.

    ReplyDelete