Friday, June 24, 2011

Apple Rhubarb Pie

Yesterday Ken came home with a bag of Granny Smith apples (purchased mainly because it gave him several cents off a gallon of gas) and announced, "I think an apple rhubarb pie would be great."  I had a bunch of rhubarb from my daughter's patch--but I never heard of apple rhubarb pie.  A little searching turned up a few recipes, and I tried this one because I had the Jell-o on hand.  It was delicious.  Slightly tart, of course, being rhubarb and Granny Smith apples, but a dollop of whipped cream was perfect.  Next time I'll try it with vanilla ice cream.  (I asked both the men in my house if I should make it a bit sweeter, and both said no.)

Ingredients

dough for a two-crust pie

2  c. rhubarb, diced
2 c. apples, sliced
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 (3 oz.) pkg. strawberry gelatin
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. melted butter

What to Do
Roll out half of pie dough and arrange in an 8 or 9 inch pie pan.  Mix all pie ingredients together and spoon into prepared crust.  Roll out remaining dough and cover, tucking edges under and fluting. (A lattice top would be nice for this pie.) Bake at 350 F for for about one hour or until top is lightly browned and fruit is bubbly. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment