Monday, March 2, 2009

Chicken or Turkey Quiche

This is nice for after Thanksgiving, of course, but I had turkey to use up so made this for company last night. I couldn't find my usual recipe, so I invented this one. Ken and I decided we liked it better than the one I used to make. As for the company, judging by their comments and the amount they ate, I think it was a hit. We served it with a tossed green salad and dessert. I would like to serve it as a breakfast sometime as well. Two of us thought it needed salt, and two did not. I would add some salt to the egg mixture. Perhaps this would depend on the cheese you use.

2 1/2 to 3 c. left over stuffing or one 6 oz. pkg. chicken or turkey flavored Stove Top or similar stuffing mix
5 1/3 oz. can evaporated skim milk or 5 oz half and half
1 c. chopped cooked turkey or chicken
1/2 c. chopped onion that has been sauteed in a little butter till soft
1/2 c. chopped mushrooms (I like to saute them with the onions.)
1 c. shredded Swiss or Cheddar cheese
1 clove minced garlic, or about 2 tsp. of the minced garlic that comes in a small jar
Chopped parsley, optional
4 beaten eggs
tomato wedges for garnish, optional

If using stuffing mix, prepare according to package directions. Press stuffing into 9 or 10 inch pie plate or quiche dish, forming a crust. I used a "deep dish" pie pate and it was perfect. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine meat, cheese, onions and garlic. In another bowl beat together eggs, milk, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle meat-cheese mixture into hot crust. Pour egg milk mixture atop. Add parsley.

Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.

Bake quiche 30-35 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with tomato wedges, if desired. Makes 6 servings (we cut it into eight pieces, since there were four of us, and everyone had two).

1 comment: